Friday 27 March 2015

Glico Pocky Milk & Strawberry Flavour


There are honestly so many reasons why I’m urgently wanting to go to Japan one day:

  1. I have been loving to read manga, watch anime and play Japanese video games since I was a little girl and there are so many good memories attached to these things (like my brother and I having intense Pokémon sessions together).
  2. The country's stunningly beautiful landscape and architecture is so fascinating to me.
  3. Their exceptional fashion sense as well as the entire lifestyle in general just excite me.
  4. They've got so darn many flavours of Pocky! (with this being the most important aspect, of course)
Although Pocky is also sold under the brand name “Mikado” in Germany, there are by far not as many flavours available as there are in Japan.
Just look at the amazing variety (even without including the huge amount of seasonal editions that come out every year)!


Understandably, I was really happy when I was able to find at least two Japanese flavours in an online store which is based in Germany so that it has a really reasonable shipping rate (compared to the costs of shipping something from Japan).
As you might have already guessed from this post’s title, the flavours I was able to get were Milk and Strawberry.
Milk Flavour
As I've always found the milk cream to be the best part of my beloved Kinder chocolate, I naturally expected to really like this which I do indeed.
Clearly, this doesn't taste like real fresh milk that you’d get from your local farmer but the taste rather reminds me of condensed milk - so to speak a richer and creamier version of milk.
The chocolate itself is just as nicely smooth, sweet and creamy as I like it to be.
The thing I like so much about the concept of Pocky is that the chocolate flavour never gets too overwhelming as there's only a thin layer of it covering pretzel stick. The ever so slightly salty pretzel inside balances out the sweetness of the chocolate very nicely.
All in all, I definitely like this one, although I still prefer the regular White Chocolate flavour (which is admittedly my all-time favourite).


Strawberry Flavour
Let’s be honest here - I surely didn't expect this to taste like a freshly picked, actual strawberries.
The flavour of the chocolate is definitely rather artificial which you are either going to like or not. I personally don’t mind it that much.
As most strawberry chocolate is based on white chocolate, this is equally as soft and sweet as a regular white chocolate would be, which is a plus for me, personally, but might be a minus if you prefer darker chocolate.
After all, this flavour doesn't really persuade me. I've definitely had much better and more authentic tasting strawberry chocolate before. Also, I am kind of missing the little ‘sting’ of a berry as an end note.


Overall, I still prefer all of the ‘standard’ flavours that I’m able to get in Germany which are White Chocolate, Milk Chocolate as well as Dark Chocolate. You can just never go wrong with these classics!



Which Pocky flavours have you already tried? Are there any special kinds available in your country?


49 comments:

  1. I love pocky, ive only ever tried the milk chocolate ones because thats all they sell in my local shop =]

    emyii90.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'd also love the other ones, then! ☺

      Delete
  2. I only know the milk chocolate ones, and it has been ages since I last had some.
    You have a sweet tooth for sure!

    LindaLibraLoca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right - I'm definitely guilty of having a major sweet tooth ! ^_^

      Delete
  3. I actually grew up eating these and I still eat them! They are really tasty :D

    www.maireem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've undoubtedly got some childhood memories attached to these goodies as well ^_^

      Delete
  4. Yum! These are so nostalgic for me haha, my friends had them in high school often.

    Erin | Erin and Katherine Talk Beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly are also one of my favourite childhood-snacks, but I've only recently gotten into the other, more 'fancy' flavors 8)

      Delete
  5. I would love to go to Japan someday too Lena. I haven;t heard of Pocky before, but they look like little breadsticks dipped in something like chocolate. WE have something like that in the Philippines too and I loved it!

    Jo | Say Cheesy Cake
    Join me on Instagram: saycheesycake
    Say Cheesy Cake on Bloglovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, they're actually exactly that ^_^
      Many other brands have adopted this concept, so the snack that you can get in the Philippines will probably be quite similar! ☺

      Delete
    2. Yes, they are called Pretzels but in Germany pretezel is twisted bread which btw, I love.

      Delete
    3. That's true. At first, I was a little confused by the name 'pretzels' as I know them as a type of lye pastry as well but my dictionary has cleared it up for me :D

      Delete
  6. Thanks for your nice words! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the star theme on your blog and pocky is sooooo good haha <3

    xoxo
    Chic Dream Jar

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummy! I think I have only ever seen the chocolate flavour before.,

    www.kindoflovely.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe they'll bring out some of the Japanese flavours in other countries as well, one day ☺

      Delete
  10. I love Pocky - they are sooooo good x

    Jana
    Life of Jana

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful blog dear, follow me and i Follow you back, kisses

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so yummy! I love Pocky, my favorites are Green Tea and original with chocolate, would love to try the milk though! I, like you, love my Kinder chocolate and think I'd be in love with that flavour! Unfortunately we don't have Pocky of any kind or name in Denmark so I can only taste them when on vacation :( As mentioned in a comment before, I LOVE how thorough your posts on candy are, your blog is definitely my go-to when it comes to candy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to try the green tea ones so badly! I don't really know what I should expect this taste to be like, but considering all the hype around the green tea Kit Kat, it must be an amazing flavour for chocolate :D
      I'm so happy to hear you like these kind of posts - It's safe to say that I'll keep on making them! ☺

      Delete
  13. I love Pocky! I grew up eating the strawberry flavored one...it is so good! I've never had them here in the U.S., but I was born in Japan, so every summer we would go and visit and munch on these! :)

    http://ourruins.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so amazing that you got to grow up in Japan! I'm totally in love with this country (and their snacks, of course) ☺

      Delete
  14. I have to admit I never tried Pocky :) But to try out the different sorts and what you mentioned here is really a good reason to visit Japan! Thanks for the input :)
    xx from Germany/Bavaria, Rena
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This made me hungry! Great post x

    The Belle Narrative

    ReplyDelete

  16. Very lovely post dear:)
    xoxo Antonella <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. i used to eat this when i was younger, so good! my friend actually just brought me a bunch of candy from japan :)

    xx danielle // shades of danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice of your friend! Foreign candy is definitely the best souvenir that someone could get me ^_^

      Delete
  18. I'm in love with your blog! Japan culture is my favorite and I also had that opsession with anime and all japanese stuff when I was little.I heard of that candy,it's amazing
    Check my blog

    www.makeartnotlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear you like my blog ☺ I'll be sure to check yours, too!

      Delete
  19. I LOVE Pocky, and I loved this post! Japan is such a lovely country, I too hope to visit one day! x

    I'm new to the blogging community and would love to make some friends here if you're interested! :3

    www.chontellelouise.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice that you want to connect ☺ I'll head over to your blog right away!

      Delete
  20. I've never tried these before, but I'd definitely like to give the milk chocolate ones a go. I would absolutely love to go to Japan as well!

    The Velvet Black | UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such an interesting and fascinating country, isn't it? ☺

      Delete
  21. I love Pocky!! The matcha, chocolate, and milk flavours are my absolute fave ❤
    munchies&musings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to try the matcha flavour as well - not least because of the green colour! ^_^

      Delete
  22. I love Pocky! It remind me when I was in Tokyo :)

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still so jealous that you got to travel to Tokyo, haha! x

      Delete
  23. Pocky is one of the best and worst things that has happened to me in my life. Like you, I am very obsessed with the amount of flavours they have in Japan. I don't think i'll ever travel there, but online shopping will do. If you enjoy japanese traditional sweets, you should try dorayaki! It's my favourite thing to eat EVER. Dorayaki is, if you don't know, 2 pancake-ish things with anko in between (anko being sweet bean paste). It's awesome. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually haven't heard of dorayaki before but I just googled some pictures of it because you just made me too curious :D And they look soo good - I can totally imagine that they'd be right up my street! Now I only have to find an online store that sells them and doesn't charge loads of money for shipping ^_^''

      Delete
  24. CamilkDairy: Our mission is to reach those health conscious people who demand healthier, and superior quality Camel Milk and by products
    Camel Milk benefits for asthma

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I'm always curious about reading some of your personal thoughts ♥

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...