Sunday 7 June 2015

Yankee Candle Summer Haul



Over the years my mum has been increasingly complaining about how hard it has become to find something to give me for my birthday which I actually haven’t picked out myself beforehand. Something I told her that she can never really go too wrong with are scented candles, especially Yankee Candles. So, when I finally turned 20 (which just sounds so much better than 19) I got a bunch of Yankee Candle samplers, amongst some other very lovely bits and bobs. This time, she had a really good hand (or rather nose) with picking out some fairly nice fragrances. Except for one or two, I actually liked all of the candles that I got! Now, here are the individual votive candles, each with the description taken from the Yankee Candle website as well as my opinion and rating on them.



"This precious resin has long been sought for its delicate sweetness, peppery spiciness and balsamic wood undertones."

To get it out of the way, I’m going to start with the only scent I absolutely didn’t like. Normally, I’d even burn candles that don’t really make me release torrents of enthusiasm but with this one I just couldn’t get myself to burn the whole thing as it literally made me feel sick. When the candle isn’t burning, it actually has quite a nice and subtle orange scent but as soon as you start burning it, the incense simply gets way too overpowering. ‘Balsamic wood undertones’ is definitely a slight understatement, if you ask me.
1/5




"Tangy sweet and full of nature’s goodness … there is nothing quite as delicious as ripe, rosy red raspberries."

After that odour nuisance, let’s get to something much more pleasantly smelling. With this candle, you get the fruity and deliciously sweet scent of freshly picked raspberries which isn’t too sickly at the same time. This kind of makes me want to go to the nearest raspberry plantation and pick baskets full of these tasty red fruits (… and pay for them afterwards, of course).
4/5



"So enticing… A just-baked tart made with sweet apples, spices and vanilla."

Being an absolute lover of apples and bakery scents, this scent seemed to be just made for me.  This candle could definitely meet my high expectations. It makes your room smell like a little French confectionery and let’s be honest – why wouldn’t you want that?
5/5



"Perfectly ripe, sunkissed fruit bursting with bright, tingly citrus to stir the senses."

This candle spreads quite a tart and citrusy scent which is definitely summer-appropriate. The only thing about this is that I just couldn’t help but to be reminded of a toilet cleaner scent. So every time I came back into the room where I had this burning, images of public restrooms popped up in my head where someone had vainly tried to cover the stench with some kind of air freshener. Probably not the most delightful association.
► 2/5 ◄



"Bursting with the vibrant, fruity sensation of sweet, sunny oranges and crisp, tangy cranberries."

Admittedly, citrusy scents can sometimes be a little pungent but this is quite a good mix of tangy and sweet fragrances. Although this is definitely a nice fruity scent, it is also nothing really distinct or outstanding at the same time. At least I also wouldn’t disagree if this was called ‘Tangerine Pomegranate’, ‘Blood Orange’ or something of that sort.
► 3/5 ◄



"Yum ... an absolutely luscious treat of plump, sweet strawberries buried in rich whipped cream."

I can only repeat what I said earlier, but sweet bakery/pastry  scents will always be my favourite kind. Naturally, I could already tell by the name of this candle that I would love it! It’s just perfectly sweet and creamy without being too heavy or overpowering. I’d say that it’s also perfect for summer as it doesn’t turn your room into a Christmas bakery as some of the winter scents tend to do.
► 5/5 ◄



"A warm breeze of soft flowers and fresh green fields captures the sweet innocence of childhood days playing in the backyard."

I would describe this as a fresh floral scent that reminds me of green grass and flowers mixed with clean and oxygen-rich air (which I can actually assess living on the countryside) Normally, I’m not the biggest fan of floral scents but this one is quite subtle … maybe even a little too subtle as you might find this scent too weak once it’s actually burning.
4/5 ◄




"Rich and seductive, this prized incense helps set a luxuriously calming mood."

Still being slightly traumatized by ‘Francincense, I already heard the alarm bells ringing when I read the word ‘incense’ in the description of this candle. Luckily, this scent is MUCH more subtle and less sickening compared to its horrible fellow. It spreads a light fragrance of ginger and warm spices which creates the perfect comforting atmosphere for late evenings.
► 4/5 ◄


Have you tested out any of these candles yet? Or do you have any recommendations for me to try?


52 comments:

  1. These sound gorgeous! Love the sound of Tarte Tatin especially - will have to try to search that one out. :)
    theemeralddove21.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Tarte Tatin one might even be my favourite out of these! I smells just incredible ♥

      Delete
  2. Tarte Tatin and Childs Wish went straight to my list of things to try.

    LindaLibraLoca: Beauty, Baby and Backpacking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to know whether you like them if you get any! ☺

      Delete
    2. I will keep you posted, but I am still burning my Chai & Lime Blossom Candle by Wax Lyrical.

      Delete
  3. I need to try Tarte Tatin, sounds lovely. Really nice post! xo

    SHEWOREWHAT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ☺ I'm sure you'd love this scent!

      Delete
  4. Love this! I really want a Yankee for myself! Great picks.

    Anika | www.anikamay.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liebe Lena, da ist Dein Wunsch ja mehr als erfüllt worden :) Bei Kerzen kann ich gar nicht mitreden, denn ich vermeide es nach Möglichkeit, Kerzen anzuzünden, da es in unserer Familie ein schlimmes Erlebnis mit Feuer gab ...
    xx Rena
    International Giveaway: Bags are More Than Fun for Me
    www.dressedwithsoul.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich konnte mich auf jeden Fall nicht über die Auswahl meiner Mama beschweren ^_^
      Aber ich kann es natürlich total verstehen, wenn Du offenes Feuer lieber vermeiden möchtest. Das tut mir wirklich leid, dass Du so schlechte Erfahrungen hast machen müssen!
      Sei lieb gegrüßt ♥

      Delete
  6. Lovely post! <3 been wanting to try some Yankee candles!
    Chloe xx
    http://chloebee1.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yankee Candle is definitely one of my favourite brands for scented candles! ☺

      Delete
  7. omg! i love Yankee Candle !!!!
    i am very excited about your little haul! I would to get on the new stuf such as Tarte Tatin ;)

    http://allornothing-blog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always most excited about the new fragrances as well ^_^

      Delete
  8. I'm starting to really like candles! The raspberry one sounds amazing! :D

    http://perlasancheza.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally recommend that scent - it's so nice and fruity ☺♥

      Delete
  9. Yankee candle for me :) New on my French Blog: How to straighten your hair and eat Strawberries sweets :)

    www.taimemode-fashionblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhhh I freaking LOVE Yankee candles - they've got the strongest smell out of all the scented candles I've given a go!

    Georgina
    foxonthehunt.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! They're definitely one of the best scented candles out on the market ☺

      Delete
  11. Love these summer candle picks! Pink grapefruit is my favourite xx

    www.krystelcouture.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely quite a fresh and summery scent! ^_^

      Delete
  12. Love Yankee candles. xx

    Nina
    http://www.ninasstyleblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look so amazing!

    http://www.dianavilic.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And above all, they smell amazing, too! ^_^

      Delete
  14. Nice♥
    Amazing post dear!!

    http://sapirgoldman.blogspot.co.il/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard such amazing things about Yankee Candles but I've never actually used them before! Super weird, right? They are so popular! This is such a great haul <3

    xx Bash | Bash Says Hey | bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I totally feel you, though! If I actually purchased all the things that people recommend on the internet every day, I'd definitely be completely broke by now ^.^''
      Thank you a lot for your comment ♥

      Delete
  16. I just love the every smell of this ! Lovely photos ♥ :)

    Love from Slovakia ~

    Orange Triangle Bikini just for 5,99$

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Yankee Candles, they are the best smelling! The red raspberry and pink grapefruit one sound amazing - definitely my next candle purchases.

    - www.veebzboo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yankee Candle is definitely my favourite brand for scented candles, too! ☺

      Delete
  18. Amazing post dear!

    www.bloglovin.com/blogs/printed-sea-3880191

    ReplyDelete
  19. I definitely have to look into the strawberry butter cream scent. Anything strawberry is usually an A+ in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tarte Tatin is such a good scent. I only have a few Yankee Candles because I'm more of an incense girl, but Tarte Tatin is seriously divine.

    http://aroseisinbloom.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree! The scent is just heavenly ♥

      Delete
  21. Oh! Das sind aber viele Kerzen. Sind die nicht relativ teuer? Yankee KErzen habe ich bisher noch nicht probiert. Ich habe allerdings ein Duftspender fürs Auto von Yankee Candle. Den finde ich richtig klasse, weil er wirklich lange Duft abgiebt.
    Liebe Grüße! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ich finde Yankee Candles leider tatsächlich recht teuer :\ So ein Sampler kostet zwar nur ca. 2,50€, aber dafür hält der natürlich auch bei weitem nicht so lange, wie eine der größeren Kerzen im Glas - deswegen warte ich auch oft, bis die Saisondüfte im Sale sind ^_^ Und so einen Duft für das Auto wollte ich mir auch unbedingt einmal zulegen! ☺

      Delete
  22. I love yankee candle...I use the tarts...I love black coconut...vanilla cupcake...fireside treats, but now also beach holiday and pink sand!!!
    ...kiss...lu!!!
    beautylove le mie follie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The scents you mentioned are actually ALL amongst my favourites as well! Especially vanilla cupcake & fireside treats are candles that I always keep on repurchasing ☺

      Delete
  23. Dear Lena! Trying to find your contact details but no luck. Mind writing me back at partners@q-depot.com. hope to hear soon!

    ReplyDelete
  24. LOL @ being traumatized from incense! I've never tried Yankee Candles, but Tarte Tatin would probably be my favourite too!! Gonna look out for that one the next time I see Yankee Candles ❤
    munchies&musings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, with the Francincense candle 'traumatizing' was literally the most appropriate adjective I could come up with :D I can totally recommend all of the others, though! I've especially grown fond of Oud Oasis after having burnt it for some more time ☺

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! I'm always curious about reading some of your personal thoughts ♥

Related Posts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...